Friday, January 27, 2012

February Sweater Plans

This will be the fourth sweater in the plans -- a photo from the Ravelry project page:



Lia (Rav link) is a bulky weight sweater with mild cabling and a super quick knit. I'm going to use Berroco Weekend Chunky yarn in Starry Night color way (a very pretty dark blue, not quite navy color).

I'm waiting until the first to cast on; am loving it!




On the cabled sweater news front? The ribbing is fun to knit and even though I haven't had a ton of time to work on it, going quite quickly. Last night though, sadly I hit upon a circular needle join failure. It's the first time I've ever had an addi turbo circular needle fail. I was a little shocked because I've had so much success with their needles and it took a few seconds for it to sink in. Thankfully, it's a size 4 which is my most common size to need and I happen to have a second one that was even a) long enough and b) with nothing on the needles... so I quickly picked up the fallen stitches with it; knit off the back end of the needle that had failed and then was able to finish knitting around... so I didn't lose hardly any time.

For the rest of the evening, I kept picking up the broken addi and giving it a dirty look. When I got ready for bed I threw it away in the trashcan; but felt I was missing something... should I have done a ceremonial disposal, I thought? My addi's are my favorite knitting tools. Somehow tossing them into the bin seems inadequate. That needle has worked on so many of my favorite projects.

My original plans were to save up to purchase a set of addi clicks this spring/summer... still debating on buying lace tips or not; now that they are coming out with longer needle lace tips, I was debating those... but now, I'm a little concerned. Are they really worth the extra money like I think they are? Folks say they really like the Knit Picks Options set. I'm not sure I trust them when they say the cables are as flexible as Addi's cables are.... so much to figure out.

No comments: